ABORTION STATISTICS

Mississippi Abortion Statistics

In 2017 Mississippi residents had 4,289 abortions.Of that amount 76% (3,267) were performed on African American women. There were 2,594 abortions performed in the state of Mississippi. That means 58% of the total abortions had by Mississippi residents were performed in the state of Mississippi.

In 2016 Mississippi residents had 4,457 abortions. Of that amount 74% (3,307) were performed on African American women. There were 2,569 abortions performed in the state of Mississippi. That means 58% of the total abortions had by Mississippi residents were performed in the state of Mississippi.

In 2015 Mississippi residents had 4,272 abortions. Of that amount 74% (3,140) were performed on African American women. Of the total number of abortions performed on Mississippi residents 2,613 (61%) had their abortion performed in the state of Mississippi. of that amount 77% (2,020) were performed on African American women.

In 2014 there were 4,801 abortions performed on Mississippi residents. Of that amount 3,642 of the abortions were preformed on women who are non-white according to the Mississippi Department of Health. That means 76% of the abortions in our state are being performed on non-white (African American) women.

US Abortion Statistics

According to The State of Abortion in the United States published on January 18, 2018 by the National Right to Life Committee Estimated abortions in the United States since 1973: 60,069,971 and counting!

Primary nationwide abortion statistics for the United States are available from two sources—privately from the Guttmacher Institute (AGI) (who's numbers come from direct surveys of all known and suspected abortion providers in the United States however only 58% respond to the survey and the other 42% is estimates utilized in-state health department data)and publicly from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Unfortunately, California, Maryland, and New Hampshire do not publicly report abortion totals.

Based on the latest state-level data, approximately 879,000 abortions took place in the United States in 2017—down from approximately 892,000 abortions in 2016 and 913,000 abortions in 2015.

CDC Abortion Surveillance 2015

In 2015, 638,169 legal induced abortions were reported to CDC from 49 reporting areas. The abortion rate for 2015 was 11.8 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years, and the abortion ratio was 188 abortions per 1,000 live births.

Compared with 2014, the total number, rate, and ratio of reported abortions for 2015 decreased 2%. Additionally, from 2006 to 2015, the number, rate, and ratio of reported abortions decreased 24%, 26%, and 19%, respectively. In 2015, all three measures reached their lowest level for the entire period of analysis (2006—2015).

Women in their twenties accounted for the majority of abortions in 2015 and throughout the period of analysis. The majority of abortions in 2015 took place early in gestation: 91.1% of abortions were performed at ≤13 weeks’ gestation; a smaller number of abortions (7.6%) were performed at 14–20 weeks’ gestation, and even fewer (1.3%) were performed at ≥21 weeks’ gestation. In 2015, 24.6% of all abortions were early medical abortions (a non-surgical abortion at ≤8 weeks’ gestation). The percentage of abortions reported as early medical abortions increased 114% from 2006 to 2015, with an 8% increase from 2014 to 2015. Source: Abortion Surveillance — United States, 2015. MMWR Surveill Summ 2018;67(No. SS-13).