Abstinence means not having oral, vaginal, or anal sex. You can be popular and cool without having sex. Young people sometimes think "everybody is doing it." They are not. Both young men and young women choose abstinence. Having sex too soon can get in the way of other important things in your life - like school, friends, and family. Additionally, you can choose abstinence even if you have already had sex.
Abstinence: the best reasons to wait on having sex
- I'm not ready - yet.
- I have plans for my future.
- I'm not ready to have a baby.
- My relationship is not ready.
- I'm protecting myself from STIs and HIV.
- I want to wait until I'm married.
- It's my decision to wait!
- Everyone is not doing it.
- Regretting you past.
- Feeling regret for doing something morally wrong.
- Losing your self-respect.
- Corrupting your character.
- Losing trust and fearing commitment.
- Depressed and thinking of suicide.
Saying Yes to abstinence is saying Yes to You
- You have goals and don't want to be distracted from reaching those goals.
- You want to finish school, go to college, and get a good job.
- The risks of a sexual relationship - unplanned pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and emotional complications.
- There are about 19 million new cases of STIs each year.
- Choosing abstinence means not taking chances with your health.
- Abstinence is the only 100% effective way to avoid pregnancy.
What Does the Bible say about Love, Sex, Lust, Temptation and Purity?
- Love I Corinthians 13:4-7 NKJV. "Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."
- Sex is a gift God gives to a married man and woman. Proverbs 5:18-19, NKJV. “Let your fountain be blessed, And rejoice with the wife of your youth. As a loving deer and a graceful doe, Let her breasts satisfy you at all times; And always be enraptured with her love.”
- Romance and sexual relations are highly recommended within the commitment of marriage. The Song of Solomon 1:2,12-13 NKJV. “Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth; For your love is better than wine.. . . While the king is at his table, My spikenard sends forth its fragrance. A bundle of myrrh is my beloved to me, That lies all night between my breasts.”
- Adultery The sixth commandment forbids adultery. Exodus 20:14, “You shall not commit adultery.”
- Lust itself is a sinful behavior and is often used as an excuse for further sin. Matthew 5:28, NKJV. Christ professed, "But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”
- Purity Matthew 5:8, NIV. “Happy are those whose hearts are pure, for they shall see God.”
- CHOOSE FRIENDS WITH PURE HEARTS. II Timothy 2:22, NKJV. “Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.”